Karori Cemetery, Wellington New ZealandAdd to Cart Download
Karori Cemetery was established in 1891 to replace the overcrowded Bolton Street Cemetery. The Cemetery filled quickly and by the 1950s had nearly reached maximum capacity. Makara Cemetery became Wellington's principal cemetery in 1965. The only plots available now at Karori Cemetery are pre-purchased ash or family plots, and children's plots.
Karori Cemetery's crematorium was New Zealand's first crematorium and is the oldest in Australasia, opening in 1909. It carries out about 450 cremations a year.
- 586 GW9FW 1814 ps.jpg
- © Robert Catto / www.catto.co.nz
- Image Size
- 4752x3468 / 5.4MB